UPSC CSE Prelims 2024

Navdeep Aggarwal AIR-150 UPSC CSE 2021

Hi, This is Navdeep Aggarwal CSE 21 Rank 150

Sociology marks :286(161+125) 



I m interested in sharing my strategy for working professionals...

I m from Indian forest service 17 batch and have given this attempt after a gap of 5 years...

It is an attempt to guide aspirants who have limited time to prepare ...

How I cracked UPSC CSE with the rank of 150 after a gap of 5 years with a full time job , and with the responsibility of family and a child



In 2016, I cleared the Indian Forest Service exam with AIR 21 and joined the 2017 batch.I finished my training and was posted at my home cadre Punjab.After working in Pathankot as Deputy DFO for a year and a half , I was posted as Regional Manager in Punjab State Forest Developmemt Corporation. Meanwhile I got married and  I also have a daughter who is 20 months old now.

In Pathankot , I got the opportunity to work as a nodal officer for migrant movement in Shramik trains . After having seen the work of administration and police closely, I felt like taking the exam again to serve the society more holistically. I spoke with my wife about taking the exam again and she fully supported me in this process which lasted for almost a year.

I had to change my optional because in 2016 I had Maths as my optional and I could never score well in Maths despite it being my post graduation subject in BITS Pilani. I thought that I should take a subject that I have a deep interest in. Sociology is essentially about the society we live in and its characteristics. In limited time , I picked out the right strategy and managed to score 286 in my optional( one of the highest marks in Paper 1 (161)) with limited and content-rich resources.


HERE’S HOW I CLEARED THE EXAM THAT WOULD PROBABLY HELP ALL THE WORKING ASPIRANTS


1) Find out time within your job where you can study

Luckily for me , in my present posting I was relatively free as compared to a job of a DFO , so i could take out 3 hours from 9 am -5 pm also apart from the non-working hours. 

I would solve prelims questions between the time I dictated notes to the staff and the final printed draft . I would (thanks to COVID ( a blessing in disguise) ) hold/attend meeting online or over the conference call. I used to have lunch in the office itself and during holidays and weekends I used to devote 14 hours a day.

But for working aspirants who cannot take out time it is advisable to take leave for atleast 1-2 months ,both before prelims and mains.

2) Controlling emotions  and being optimistic when things go out of your hands

Having a positive attitude and emotional intelligence are the key elements that are needed  in this  journey.

I was diagnosed with dengue and chikangunya one after the other during mains and my entire strategy failed. However I didn’t not give up . I used to give positive affirmations to myself every now and then  that I ll only focus on things that are in my control and leave the rest to God .If it has to happen it will happen .

I reworked my strategy for the remaining time and made sure I finished the most important things before writing the final exam

3) Delayed gratification without compromising on prime duties

I never missed any vaccination or health check-ups for my daughter .I never missed taking her monthly photos on varied themes.I never avoided any work related meetings or field visits that were crucial. My parents suffered from corona back at home but I called them here at Bathinda and took complete care of them. These are the things I coudn’t ignore.

The things that i ignored were  social media accounts , minimising office parties and friendly get-together .As a couple we coudn’t spend the quality time by going on dates as frequently as we used to earlier . I deliberately avoided meeting new people or made new friends as I was sure that I wanted to clear the exam without any distraction. My wife’s role in supporting my journey is commendable .My parents were  always there with me during my exams .My mother in law took care of our daughter  for most of the time . My brother in law ( who is also preparing for civil services) gave me all the notes and taught me all important topics .

So whatever free time I had I used to spend with my family and my duties .

4) Reverse engineering really helps 

Before starting off any topic,referring to its previous year questions(PYQs) is really important. For sociology I prepared notes as per the trends of questions asked so far . For prelims I solved more than 10000 questions and then revised my static part . Having a problem solving approach to studies ,helps you narrow down the scope of what is to be studied. It should be a step wise approach .First see the PYQs to get an idea of the syllabus .Then move towards basic reading ,then again start with questions from test series and revise and update your already existing notes. It saves time and gives you a rich content available to write in mains .

5) Revision is of utmost importance 

It is almost impossible to retain so much without at least revising it 2-3 times .The revision has to be systematic. No matter how one makes notes ( online/offline) ,while revising one needs to have a pen and a paper to jot down important keywords and stats  and create mnemonics or stories out of it . Over time one will be able to retain a lot by multiple revisions and rough scribbling. 

6) Writing tests for mains irrespective of how much one has prepared is a must 

Writing practice is a skill set that needs to be developed. One cannot just learn how to swim by reading about it .Writing answers is like that . Even if one has not completed the syllabus ( the syllabus is endless and will never be complete) one should write the test in a stipulated time .Not even a second extra!

It improves your writing skill and gives an idea of how to approach the answer holistically and new ideas come up at the spot during the final exam

For instance there was a question on reverse migration during corona in my sociology paper.

Generally one thinks of reverse migration in terms of people moving from urban areas to rural area only but I also added sociological insights on urban to urban migration which strengthened  the joint family.

Also I added reverse migration from outside India and its dimensions . I had not prepared those topics but I could write properly about them .When we  practice writing tests in time we can  think of many angles at the spot and it is a skill that needs to be nurtured.

7) Don’t neglect interviews at any cost

I personally believe interviews are harder to crack than the mains exam. One has to prepare a lot and develop balanced perspectives .One cannot fake during interviews and that confidence comes only after intense preparation . Mock interviews of respectable panel members must definitely be taken in offline mode.


My sociology strategy

Started preparing for it in January 2021 as it was a new optional for me . I have scored 286 marks and 161 in Paper 1 which is one of the highest score. 

Study material

1) Sleepy classes free and paid content

2) IAS gurukul test series and answer writing programme and current affairs booklet

3)Nitin Sangwan sir’s book Essential Sociology

3)Neha Bhosle mam’s test papers

4) Vision solved test papers of previous years

5) Selected reading from IGNOU/Harlambos/Ritzer /youtube videos of foreign authors for topics I coudn’t find in the above sources

 

1st 2-3 months ( 3-4 hours a day)

I went through PYQs and got an idea of the questions asked . Then I watched all sleepy classes videos (free) and Nitin sir’s book and combined notes from both the sources

Next 3 months 

Later I started writing answers and compared with Neha Mam’s papers and updated my notes. I also updated my notes from previous years vision sociology solved test papers that I took from a friend.

Also I made notes for topics not covered from various internet sources 

Next 3 months I didn’t read anything related to sociology and devoted my time and energy for prelims 

After Prelims I joined the test series and daily answer programme of IAS gurukul and gave about 7-8 tests .The feedback I got really helped me improve my marks . Also the model answers given by them were top-notch which helped me in updating my notes with respect to current affairs and sociological insights.

I referred to their current affairs sociology magazine selectively to get names of the authors in the contemporary times .

In the final stage of revision I made short and crisp notes of the final content I had and revised it 2 times .One till December end and once during the 5 day break .

I made rough notes on thinkers and their basic ideas to memorise them every now and then . Learning thinkers is not as difficult as it seems . You will remember them with multiple revisions and will be able to produce them on the D-day

Also don’t be afraid of writing tests irrespective of your preparation . One never knows their true potential unless they practise writing.

It was a simple but effective strategy .I didn’t compare my journey with anyone else and with a positive mindset and faith in one’s own strategy (that needs to be worked upon as one moves forward) I could score well . 

My notes are there on my telegram channel and all other queries are being taken up there itself.


Prelims strategy

I was always able to score well in prelims .In 2016 I scored 150 and even in this attempt despite having less time I was able to score 103. I think what worked for me ,inter-alia, was the number of questions I solved before Prelims .I solved about 10000 questions from various sources .By solving questions one develops the skill of elimination and logical guess work .One tends to remember more if one commits a mistake in the tests .

Also the mind works faster and more effective with problem solving approach . After taking tests , we tend to read more carefully the topics that we read . 

Along with that revision of whatever you have read is important because you might just forget it completely. Revising 2-3 times should be a part of your strategy .Making rough notes of keywords on charts/papers/flash notes will help you retain more and will come handy in mains as well

Study material for Prelims

1) Polity -Lakshmikant and selective reading from ncert ( definitions based questions)

2) Economy - Mrunal

3) Geography - Rajnatil videos (mrunal) +NCERT 11 and 12 and Amit sengupta/other youtube videos for maps 

4) History and Culture

 Modern -spectrum

Ancient & Medieval: Chetan Bharat Learning notes

5) Environment: Shankar for basic idea

Websites and wikipedia for organisations

national parks/ramsar sites /tiger reserves etc : Indian Geography through maps ( Ashish Bharti IPS)

6)Current Affairs 

vision 365 / insights on india/ ias baba and their free programmes and compilations

7) Science and Tech - Chetan Bharat learning notes + free youtube videos from study IQ/un academy

Apart from the above one needs to spend time on solving PYQs and test papers . I used vision test papers,ias baba, insights on india ,gs score, rau's (open tests) rigorously.

 



General Studies - 4

Read Decode ethics by Mudit Jain twice

Bought solved test papers of last year of Lukman IAS and checked test papers of toppers from the same institute

Added a lot of contemporary examples (including some of my batch mates ) and quotes in the answers and case studies 

Wrote 2-3 tests to maximise speed. Make diagrams,flowcharts and boxes wherever possible to catch the attention of the evaluator.

Ethics is a high scoring exam with less efforts .It is quite common sensical. Write ethics tests to get good marks .If possible join a test series for ethics and write atleast 5 tests in time. Don’t go for detailed theories and solve all the Previous years papers and get them checked. THAT’S ENOUGH.


General Studies - Mains (1,2 and 3)

I didn’t get much time to prepare for GS papers. Though I had taken the exam after 5 years I had basic idea of all the topics so I would not advise new aspirants to follow my strategy as it is a short cut that can only work if u have read all the things already.

Basic sources : 

1) Sunya IAS compiled notes

2)Vision Ias compilations of current affairs and their test papers solved

3)IAS baba compilations of questions

4) PYQ questions solved from 2013

5) test series of IAS BABA( wrote about 7-8 tests) and updated my notes from the discussions

5) For economy i referred to Mrunal notes

6) For history and culture I revised prelims material only

7) Didn’t do world history and post independence history this time ..Just learnt some answers from test series

 

Interview

I feel it is tougher than Mains .It requires immense preparation both for content and personality development. Attend 7-8 mocks preferably in offline mode. Give balanced judgements and it is ok if u are not able to answer 4-5 questions  by simply saying I m sorry .They check the whole personality and how u carried yourself in that half and an hour.I made notes on all topics related to DAF point-wise and for all the current topics ,I prepared the content theme wise (politically,socially ,economically etc).I tried to answer every opinion based question through various dimensions rather than explaining one dimension in detail.

Also before going to the board room I meditated for five minutes and remained calm throughout the interview ,irrespective of the reaction of disapproval in one or two questions.

Speaking softly and slowly , having a smile and remaining attentive and confident are the keys to acing the interview.

If anyone wants to reach out to me for a detailed paper wise strategy one can join my telegram channel. I have shared my notes and mock interview videos on it .I use that platform to clear doubts of aspirants . I am free till I join LBSNAA/NPA,so I would be happy to help till then atleast. One can also get in touch through insta/fb /twitter also.

Follows: t.me/CSE21_150_Navdeep

Post a Comment

Cookie Consent
We serve cookies on this site to analyze traffic, remember your preferences, and optimize your experience.
Oops!
It seems there is something wrong with your internet connection. Please connect to the internet and start browsing again.
AdBlock Detected!
We have detected that you are using adblocking plugin in your browser.
The revenue we earn by the advertisements is used to manage this website, we request you to whitelist our website in your adblocking plugin.
Site is Blocked
Sorry! This site is not available in your country.
//disable Text Selection and Copying